Taras Dobko, Ph. D.
Senior Vice Rector of the UCU
E-mail: [email protected]
|Date and place of birth:||June 2, 1971, Lviv, Ukraine|
|Civil status:||Married, 2 daughters|
International Academy of Philosophy in the Principality of Liechtenstein (Im Schwibboga 7 b-c. FL-9487 Bendern), summa cum laude
Dissertation: Happiness of the Human Person. A Phenomenological Study of the Disclosure of the Human Person in Happiness
International Academy of Philosophy in the Principality of Liechtenstein (Im Schwibboga 7 b-c. FL-9487 Bendern), summa cum laudeThesis: Religious Faith and Metaphysical Conviction about God’s Existence: A Comparative Study
Lviv National University, Department of Mathematics and Mechanics, Lviv, Ukraine, Diploma in Theoretical Mechanics, with distinction
|2002||Research internship on Globalization and Identity, Council for Research in Values and Philosophy, Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., USA (two months)|
|2002||Italian Summer School, Mantova, Italy (one month)|
|2003||Italian Summer School, Mantova, Italy (one month)|
|2007||Research internship, Nanovic Institute for European Studies, University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA (one month)|
|2007||Research internship, the Centre for Studies on the Classical Tradition in Poland and East-Central Europe OBTA, Warsaw University, Poland (two months)|
|2010||Research internship, Nanovic Institute for European Studies, University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA (three months)|
|2013||Research internship, Nanovic Institute for European Studies, University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA (four months)|
|2010||Ukrainian Catholic University, Philosophy Department, Certificate Program in European Studies Elites and Social Service (course: Elites in Contemporary Society and Culture)|
|2009||Ukrainian Catholic University, Philosophy Department, Certificate Program in European Studies Ethics and Public Life (courses: On the Essence of the Public Life: Freedom and/or Social Determination?, Culture as a ‘Lebenswelt’ of the Human Spirit)|
|2008||Ukrainian Catholic University, Philosophy Department, Certificate Program in European Studies The Other Europe: Exploring Alternatives (course: European Identity in Contemporary Ukrainian Discussions)|
|2007||Lviv National University, Ph.D. program in Social and Cultural Studies (doctoral seminar: Theory of Cultural and Social Present)|
|since 1998-||Ukrainian Catholic University – Lviv Theological Academy, Faculty of Philosophy and Theology, Associate Professor in Philosophy (courses: Epistemology, Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Love)|
|1998-2004||St. N. Charnets’kyj Higher Theological Institute (CSsR), Lviv, Ukraine, Philosophy Lecturer (courses: Philosophical Propadeutics, Epistemology, Christian Philosophy, Philosophy of Religion)|
|2005, May||Sulkhan-Saba Orbeliani Institute of Theology, Philosophy, Culture and History, Tbilisi, Georgia, Philosophy Lecturer|
|since 2008||Senior Vice-Rector, Ukrainian Catholic University|
|2003-2008||Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs, Ukrainian Catholic University|
|2004-2010||Secretary of the Academic Senate, Ukrainian Catholic University|
|2005-2008||A member of the Board of Trustees, Ukrainian Catholic University|
|2000-2003||Assistant Dean of the Faculty of Philosophy and Theology, Ukrainian Catholic University – Lviv Theological Academy|
|1999-2000||Director of Registrar’s and Student Record Office, Lviv Theological Academy|
|2008-2012||A member of the Supervisory Board of the Lviv Business School, Ukrainian Catholic University|
|2008-2012||A Chair of the Project Board for the Stryiskyi Park University Campus Project, Ukrainian Catholic University|
|2011-||A member of the Program Board of the Education Program of the International Renaissance Foundation|
|2009-2010||A member of the National Team of Higher Education Reform Experts in Ukraine (HERE team)|
|2007-2009||A member of the working group called for by the Ukrainian Ministry of Education to develop a state educational standard in theology|
|since 2007-||A member of the International Humanities Association|
|2005-2009||A member of the working group of the project of the Consortium of the Ukrainian Universities “University autonomy as an integral part of the civil society”|
- Project coordinator and co-editor of the philosophical series Anthology of Personalistic Thought
- Co-editor of the first book of the series Anthology of Personalistic Thought entitled Experiencing the Human Person. Essays in Philosophical Anthropology – Lviv: Svichado, 2000.
- Editor of the second book of the philosophical series Anthology of Personalistic Thought entitled Ethics by Dietrich von Hildebrand. – Lviv: Ukrainian Catholic University, 2002.
- Editor of the third book of the series Anthology of Personalistic Thought entitled What is Philosophy? by Dietrich von Hildebrand. – Lviv: Koleso, 2008.
- “Personalism or the Human Person in Search of Identity” (in Ukrainian) // Foreword to the Ukrainian translation of the book Experiencing the Human Person. Essays in Philosophical Anthropology. – Lviv: Svichado, 2000: pp. 7-12.
- “The Role of Solidarity in Maintaining the Society Friendly to Dignity of the Human Person” (in Ukrainian) // The Proceedings of the Summer Seminar in Social Philosophy Social Market Economy and the Society Friendly to the Human Dignity. – Lviv: Lviv Theological Academy, 2001.
- “The Post-Modern Man as Confronted with the Question of God” (in Ukrainian) // Foreword to the Ukrainian translation of the book by Josef Zycinski God of the Post-Modernists. – Lviv: Ukrainian Catholic University, 2004.
- “University Autonomy as a Way towards Free and Responsible University” (in Ukrainian) // Proceedings of the Seminar on University Autonomy as an Integral Part of the Civil Society. – Lviv: Ivan Franko National University, 2005.
- “Universality and Identity: Horizons of Human Existence” (in Ukrainian) // Богословія, Т.69 – Lviv: Ukrainian Catholic University, 2005, pp. 146-162.
- “Problems and Challenges for the Reception of Theology and Theologian in Academic Community of the Contemporary Ukrainian University” (in Ukrainian) // The Proceedings of the conference of the new generation of theologians of the UGCC “Kairos”. – Lviv: Ukrainian Catholic University, 2006.
- “Evidence and Truth in Edmund Husserl’s “Logical Investigations” (in Ukrainian) // The Proceedings of the interdisciplinary conference The Transformation of Thinking and Knowledge Paradigms in the Context of New Issues in Fundamental, Social, Practical and Applied Philosophy. – Lviv: Ivan Franko Lviv National University, 2007, pp. 19-21.
- “Academic Culture as a Prerequisite of the Advanced Management of the Contemporary Autonomous University” (in Ukrainian) // University Autonomy. – Kyiv: Dukh i Litera, 2008, pp. 93-102.
- “How to Do Philosophy?” (in Ukrainian) // Foreword to the Ukrainian translation of the book What is Philosophy? by Dietrich von Hildebrand – Lviv: Koleso, 2008, pp. 7-20.
- “Learning to Be Free: Freedom and its Counterfeits in Post-Soviet Ukraine” (in Polish) // Ethos, №81. – Lublin: Lublin Catholic University, 2008, pp. 38-49.
- “Happiness and Moral Autonomy of the Human Person: A Critical Reflection on Kant and von Hildebrand” (in English) // Topos. Journal for Philosophy and Cultural Studies, №2. – Vilnius: European Humanities University, 2010. P.108-121.
- “On the Foundational Principles of the Phenomenological Theory of Knowledge” (in Ukrainian) // Multyversum. Almanac in Philosophy, Nr. 10(98). – Kyiv, 2010. P.43-52.
- “St. Thomas on the Last End of Human Life in Summa Theologica, I-II” (in Ukrainian) // Journal of V.Karazin Kharkiv National University. Nr. 940. – Kharkiv-Sumy: 2011. P.84-89.
- “Kant on Happiness and Its Importance in Practical Life of the Human Person” (in Ukrainian) // Journal of Chernivtsi University. Nr. 534-535. Philosophy. – Chernivtsi: Y.Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University, 2011. P.167-176.
- “Max Scheler on Ethical Significance of Different Ways with the Self” (in Ukrainian) // Journal of the National University “Ostroh Academy”. «Philosophy». Nr. 8. – Ostrih: 2011. P.341-353.
- “On Position and Proposition. Where Do the Ways of Religious Experience Lead Us?” (in Ukrainian) // Scholarly Proceedings of the Ukrainian Catholic University. Number ІІІ. Series Philosophy. Issue 1. – Lviv: 2012. P.227-245.
- “Intellectual and University: Obscurantism or Culture of the Intellect?” (in Ukrainian) // Journal «Ideology and Politics», http://ideopol.org/sites/default/files/ideopol.org/www/sites/default/files/2/5_UKR%20Dobko.pdf, September 2012.
- “Max Scheler on Religion and Philosophy: A Phenomenological Study of Their Distinction and Relationship” (in Ukrainian) // Hileya. Nr. 65. – Kyiv: 2012. P.307-313.
- “On the Nature of Religious Experience and Cognition: A Phenomenological Study” (in Ukrainian) (in Ukrainian) // Journal of the National University “Ostroh Academy”. Philosophy Series. #11 – Ostrih: 2012. P.417-432.
- “«God of Phenomenologists», as a Response to the Dilemma of «God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob» or «God of Philosophers»? (in Ukrainian) // Philosophy of Religion in Ukraine: Variations in Strategy of Understanding the Field. A collection of scholarly articles, ed. by A. Kolodnyy and O. Horkusha // Religious Studies in Ukraine, #64. – Kyiv: 2012. P.133-140.
- «University and Theological Education in Ukraine: the Autonomy of Knowledge and Intellectual Necessity of Theology» // Philosophical Thought: Special Issue of Sententiae ІІІ. «Christian Theology and Contemporary Philosophy», 2012 – Vinnytsya: Vinnytsya National Technical University, 2013. P.200-212.
- «Metaphysics of Festivity, or On the Metaphysical Presuppositions of Human Happiness» // Religion and Society. International Journal. №1(9). – Chernivtsi: Y.Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University, 2013. – P.5-11.
- «Entelechy and Transtelechy: What the Human Person Cares About in His Practical Life?» // Journal of Chernivtsi University. Nr. 646-647. Philosophy. – Chernivtsi: Y.Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University, 2013. – P.163-168.
- «Love and Happiness in the Philosophy of Dietrich von Hildebrand» // Hileya. Nr. 73. – Kyiv: 2013. P.179-182.
- «Phenomenology of Humility» // Humanities Studies. Nr.20. – Kyiv: Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University, 2013. P.52-62.
- “Emancipating Higher Education in Ukraine from the Post-Soviet Legacy: A Problem of Trust and Academic Excellence” (in English) // Universidade em Debate, Pontificia Universidade Católica do Parana. – Curitiba, Brazil: 2012 (forthcoming).
Invited lectures and presentations:
- “Universal” and Local Cultures: the Limits and Horizons of Appreciation // Seminar on Globalization and Identity. USA, Council for Research in Values and Philosophy, Catholic University of America, 2002.
- “New Tendencies in Philosophy: Problems of Learning and Teaching” // International conference of the Academic Council of Learned Societies (ACLS). Kharkiv, 2005.
- “Prospects for Developing Joint PhD Studies across Schengen Borders” // International Conference University Autonomy, Civil Society, and University’s Teaching Mission. Warsaw University, Warsaw, 2006.
- “Autonomy of Knowledge and Reason’s Appeal for Theology” // Round Table on The Autonomy of Knowledge: Intellectual Horizons and Institutional Challenges, International Conference University Autonomy, Civil Society, and University’s Teaching Mission. Warsaw University, Warsaw, 2006.
- “Dietrich von Hildebrand’s Philosophy of Freedom and Post-Soviet Ukraine as a Philosophical Event” // International Conference on Philosophical Legacy of Dietrich von Hildebrand. Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio, USA, 2007.
- “Obscurantism or Culture of Intellect” // International Congress of the ACLS HP, Kharkiv National University, Kharkiv, 2007.
- “Ethos and Law in Ukrainian University” // Round Table. University of Economy and Law “КРОК”, Kyiv, 2008.
- “Culture of Academic Excellence and Solidarity: Why These Matter for Promoting Academic Freedom and University Autonomy in Ukraine” // International Meeting & Symposium Defending the University: Academic Freedom in Central and Eastern Europe. International Network Scholars at Risk. European Humanities University, Vilnus, 2008.
- “University and Theological Education in Russia: University Autonomy and Orthodox East” // International Conference on Elites, Public Debate and Higher Education Reform. Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies Artes Liberales, Warsaw University, Warsaw, 2008.
- “Non-Governament University in Ukraine: Testing for University Autonomy” // Round table on University Autonomy: International Experience and Ukraine. National University Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Kyiv, 2009.
- “The Third Cycle of Higher Education: Basis Approaches in the Bologna Process and Ukrainian Situation” // Round table on The Implementation of the Bologna principlesand Problems of the Third Cycle of Higher Education in Ukraine. Lviv Polytechnic National University, Lviv, 2010.
- “Ukraine and Russia: the problems in constructing the modern Ukrainian identity”, open lecture, University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA, December 2010.
- «Intellect and virtue in Catholic Universities today» // International conference «Intellect and Virtue: The Idea of a Catholic University», Catholic University of America, Washington. D.C., April 2011.
- «University as an autonomous institution and its role in promoting civil society: nowadays and future challenges» // International conference «Roads of Freedom», Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Kyiv, October 2011.
- «The main approaches to “the tertiary cycle” (Ph.D.) in EHEA framework» // International Fulbright conference «Higher Education in Ukraine: internationalization, reform, innovation», Kyiv, April 2012.
- «Be great people!» // An address at the graduation ceremony of the Lviv Business School, June 2012.
- «La lotta continua», a presentation at the international seminar «Ethics and Religion in Contemporary World» with the participation of Charles Taylor, June 2012.
- «Culture universitas magistrorum et scholarium: how to build and develop it in the post-Soviet, post-colonial, and post-modern Ukrainian university?», a talk at the international seminar «Subjectivity of the student and teacher in the autonomous university», Lviv-Warsaw, October 2012.
- «What academic ethics we need and how to make it happen?», a talk at the international conference «From new academic culture to the corruption-free society», Lviv, November 2012.
- «The Church and the World: A Case-Study of the Phenomenon of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church», a talk at the international seminar «The Church and the World: Disjunctions in a Secular Age» with the participation of Charles Taylor, Vienna, June 2013
- classical phenomenology and phenomenological epistemology;
- secularism and secularization in post-modern culture; philosophy of religion;
- social and philosophical analysis of the concept of rationality in European culture;
- homo post-sovieticus in Ukrainian context; university autonomy and academic culture
- English – advanced;
- Russian – fluent;
- Polish – advanced (speaking and reading);
- German – intermediate (reading)