The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social and research‑based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
70 fellowships are awarded annually;
a total of up to 140 awards are active at any time.
Fellowships are distributed equally among:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between the following:
- applicant – individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career
- host institution – commitment to the research program and alignment with the institution’s strategic priorities
An applicant to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete their application in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.