Deadline: 22 April 2014 at 23:59 New York City local time
Open to: participants between the ages of 18 and 35 years old, linked to an organization or network
Venue: 16-23 August 2014, Tarrytown, New York
The conviction that youth are a driving force for positive social change is the basis for the UNAOC-EF (United Nations Alliance of Civilizations – Education First) Summer School. This week-long summer school brings together 75 youth from across the globe, to address pressing global challenges, within the context of cultural and religious diversity. The highly interactive program will immerse participants in the essentials of global citizenship. Seminars, workshops, and roundtable discussions will challenge participants and increase their impact as leaders in their fields. The UNAOC-EF Summer School will be held on EF’s historic American campus in Tarrytown, New York. Participants will be hosted on the center’s 25-acre campus, which boasts on site residences, student lounges, a fitness center and swimming pool.
One highlight of this year’s Summer School will be a guided tour of the United Nations headquarters in New York City. Participants will tour the General Assembly Hall and explore a variety of exhibits detailing the history of the UN and learn about how the UN addresses issues such as disarmament, peace and security.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- be between the ages of 18 and 35 years old on 16 August 2014 — the start of the UNAOC – EF Summer School;
- be linked to an organization or a network (e.g. youth council, youth NGO, not-profit organization, youth-led organization, community organization, faith-based organization, youth network or platform, college, university), or be a social entrepreneur, blogger, intern or volunteer;
- hold a passport valid until at least March 2015 (for a visa to be issued, a passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of entry into the country);
- possess upper-intermediate English proficiency.
Selected participants of the UNAOC – EF Summer School 2014 will be provided with the following:
- international travel to and from the international airport closest to their residence. This economy class international ticket will be issued for arrival in New York City on 16 August 2014 and departure on 23 August 2014. The ticket will follow the most direct route between the closest international airport and New York City;
- shared accommodation (double or triple rooms with participants of the same gender) while in Tarrytown;
- meals during the official portions of the Summer School;
- full event access during the entire week of the Summer School;
- shuttles from and to the airport in New York City;
- the cost of US and transit visas (if applicable);
- the cost of vaccinations required to enter the US (if applicable);
- the cost of medical insurance required to enter the US (if applicable).
Participants will cover the following:
- cost of local transportation to and from the international airport closest to their residence;
- cost of meals and other incidental expenses while traveling to and from their residence to New York City;
- cost of meals and other incidental expenses incurred outside of the official portions of the Summer School;
- any souvenirs, phone calls, equipment, etc. purchased for the Summer School or during the Summer School.
Please note that neither the UNAOC nor EF will reimburse any expense incurred by participants to the Summer School.
The selection of the 75 participants will be based on responses to essay questions regarding motivation as well as past and future involvement in issues to be tackled during the Summer School. In addition, the organizers will take a look at your professional and/or educational and/or volunteering background to see how it is positioning you in a way that would help you disseminate what you will learn. Also, the applicants’ level of English proficiency will play a role in the selection process. Lastly, balance in terms of region and gender will be respected in the final selection.
In order to apply, register HERE.